Stephen’s practice includes a broad equity and commercial practice acting for Plaintiffs and Defendants in courts and tribunals where he often appears as advocate and otherwise engages very good counsel to act for clients.
Stephen’s areas of practice include:
- Building & Strata Disputes
- Representing solicitors & barristers in consumer and disciplinary allegations and complaints by the Law Society, Bar Association and Legal Services Commissioner and in Tribunal proceedings against practitioners
- Contractual Disputes
- Trade Practices
- Insolvency & Debt Recovery
- Supreme Court Equity Actions
- Probate, Wills & Succession Act Disputes
- Professional Negligence Actions
- Commercial Advice and Drafting
- Common Law and Insurance Claims
- Acting for Councils in Debt Recovery and advice on commercial arrangements and disputes
Stephen will think outside of the square and consider alternatives to litigation with cost effective strategies. His strengths include focusing on the issues and evidence required, gathering that evidence, working with appropriate counsel, considering settlement or getting the best result from the litigation. Stephen joined Carney Lawyers in 2002. In October 2004 he was certified as an Accredited Specialist in Commercial Litigation by the Law Society of New South Wales. He is a past Member of the Law Society Dispute Resolution Committee and Litigation Law and Practice Committee.